Image Map

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Ramen Crispy Treats

I've already posted on how much I love ramen. Mr. Mochi gets downright spiritual after finishing a bowl at Shin-Sen-Gumi. It appeals to me on the most basic levels; ramen is soul food. I see ramen as a hangover cure, rainy-day friend; a pick-me-up piping hot broth with slurp-able noodles that never fails to make you feel better.

Plus ramen is so customizable. A poached egg, some green onions, toasted nori, just about everything is free game. You can even peruse the vast amount of ramen hacks, where the instant ramen is taken to new heights of crazy and creativeness. I love creating my own weird combinations with premade food, like my KFC kare donburi, so I think that's why I have a soft spot for ramen hacks.

I had to try this one when I heard about it. After all, ramen hacks are usually savory, so any ramen dessert had to be tried. Especially since I knew these would make great gifts for Valentine's Day. Without further ado, I introduce you to Ramen Crispy Treats. Just like rice crispy treats, but use dry ramen.

If you use 4 packs of noodles, it will be like the picture, but I found I liked it with more marshmallow to ramen and made it again with only 3 packs, but they definitely were messier to eat as they were on the gooey-er side. Feel free to use whatever mix-ins tickle your fancy: M&Ms, chocolate chips, pecans, etc, would all be amazing. These treats will be denser than rice crispy treats, and nuttier tasting, but I surprisingly really enjoyed them. For decorating for Valentine's Day, I think some Valentine's edition Reeses Pieces or M&Ms would be very cute, or even some heart-shaped sprinkles!

Ramen Crispy Treats

3-4 blocks of dry instant ramen, seasoning packet discarded
1 16 ounce package of mini marshmallows (around 5.5-6 cups)
4 tbs of butter, unsalted
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate.

First, crush up the ramen into fine bits. I found the easiest way to do this was to put the blocks in a gallon ziplock and smash it with the bottom of a wine bottle, but a rolling pin would be great too.

Melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan until completely melted, then pour the marshmallows in. Stir frequently until the marshmallows have completely melted and combined with the butter. Remove from heat and pour in the crushed dry ramen. Mix until completely coated in melted marshmallow, then pour into whatever container you feel like (I used a buttered 8x8" pyrex and would recommend it, but a tupperware would work, or even mold it freeform on a paper plate).

When cool, use a cookie cutter to cut into hearts or simply use a knife to cut into squares. If you opt for the 4 blocks of ramen, this might take a little weight behind it.

Next, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second bursts, mixing in between until completely melted. Dip the bottom of the treats into the melted chocolate, and let the excess drip off. Place on a piece of parchment or waxed paper, and use a spoon to drizzle more chocolate on top. Let harden at room temperature. These will last for a couple days at room temperature.

See Also:
Tom Kha Goong Ramen
Nori Furikake Chex Mix
Hurricane Popcorn

6 comments:

  1. Hi Miss Mochi,

    This is unique!!! It looks fantastic!

    Happy Valentine's Day to you and Mr Mochi!!!

    Greeting from Australia. I'm a Singaporean mum living in Australia and love cooking and blogging. Your blog is interesting and fun to read. Happy to be your latest follower and hope to stay connected via blogging :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too! Thanks for commenting on my blog, I can't wait to explore yours more as well. I love the Chinese custard buns, you have me excited for trying them out!

      Delete
  2. OMG, this is amazingly clever! Love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My nephew LOVES Ramen Noodles cooked the usual way....but he is going to LOVE his Auntie when I make these treats for him!!

    ReplyDelete