Image Map

Monday, July 25, 2016

Mizuna, Apple and Jicama Salad with Yuzu Kosho Vinaigrette

I don't post a lot of salad recipes. They generally aren't my favorite thing, especially when the lettuce leaves are huge and they end up slapping me in the chin and I get salad dressing everywhere and look like an idiot. I never claimed to be graceful, in fact I'm pretty much a walking disaster when it comes to food and a lot of other things now that I ponder it.

I've written about the chaos that ensues while making dishes, but I'm also a natural disaster whilst dining as well. Spaghetti and salads made with lettuce are a sure-fire way to ruin a blouse in my book. I rarely disappoint when it comes to this splattering, despite being a slow and careful eater. This trait seems to be genetic, as my father tends to involuntarily decorate his button-downs as well.

However, here's a salad that I'd be willing to wear white silk around because mizuna isn't nearly as ungainly on a fork as romaine or butter lettuce, especially when you chop it down to size. I mean, don't get me wrong, if anyone can make a mess of things it's me, but I'd at least take that challenge. My only other beef about salads: their names are often unwieldy as hell!

This is a very refreshing salad when it's hot and I found that it packs fairly well for work bentos the next day. Depending on how long it is in the fridge, sometimes the mizuna does get a bit wilted when stored with the dressing. I recommend to pack the dry mizuna separately and combine it right at your desk with the other ingredients and the vinaigrette.

Mizuna, Apple and Jicama Salad with Yuzu Kosho Vinaigrette
serves 4

Use the stems! They are delish!
1 bunch of mizuna (approximately 1" in diameter bunch)
2 apples, julienned (I like granny smith for tartness, though a red-skinned apple would give a nice color)
1/2 of a small cucumber, julienned
1/2 cup jicama, julienned

for the dressing:
2 tsp green yuzu kosho
2 tbs olive oil
3 tbs white vinegar
The brand I used
3 tbs apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt

Rinse the mizuna carefully and then either spin or pat dry and cut into 2" lengths. After you're tired of julienning everything, simply combine all the dressing ingredients thoroughly, then toss the salad ingredients together and pour the dressing over them. Toss gently to coat and serve. If you're making this in advance, keep the mizuna separate until right before serving to keep from wilting.

I used raw apple cider vinegar for its sweet fruitiness. If you are using just white vinegar, I recommend a teaspoon of honey.

See also:
Fall Fruit Salad
Kaki Kohaku Namasu
Taberu Rayu Cucumbers
Togarashi Zucchini

No comments:

Post a Comment